It’s another morning without sleep and you are completely exhausted. It’s already 5 in the morning and the traces of the morning sun have started to peek through, dawn is just beginning and you have been awake since 2 in the morning. How are you supposed to make it through another dreaded day of work and cope with other work that you have? If that is the thought that is constantly bothering you then take a look at what are the exact causes and remedies that can help you get that goodnight sleep!
Adults always need an average of 8 hours of sleep every single night but due to insomnia they are unable to fulfil that. When it comes to the effects that are caused due to insomnia there are plenty which can be listed down:
- People suffering from insomnia are very likely to be four times more prone to be diagnosed with depression.
- People are most likely to suffer from cardiac problems.
- Due to a lack of sleep, the cognitive functions become messed up and hence it leads to more mistakes and accidents.
- When you are not well rested you tend to miss your work even more than usual and it leads to a lot of unproductiveness.
What exactly is Parasomnia?
Parasomnia refers to the disruptive sleep disorder which occurs when you wake up from REM sleep. It can also occur due to partial arousal from the non-REM sleep. Parasominas can actually include waking up from sleep completely confused, sleepwalking, nightmares, and night terrors.
Nightmares refer to the vivid events which can leave us with a feeling of fear and anxiety. Usually if someone is having a nightmare they would wake up abruptly from their REM sleep and is able to describe their dream content quite vividly. Nightmares can occur due to a lot of different reasons like anxiety, illness, serious effects from a medication or even losing someone close to you. It is important that you go see a doctor if you are suffering constantly from nightmares.
Easy Tips For You To Help Combat Parasomnia
- Make Yourself Comfortable: Sometimes the small thing bug us and does not let us have proper sleep. Maybe it’s the mattress or the pillows. A person who is suffering from insomnia is likely to wake up from sleep when they hear a loud noise. The best sort of sleeping environment you can have is when you sleep in a dark and quiet bedroom.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine intake: When you drink alcohol your brain shuts down completely and you might wake up the next day with a hangover or in the middle of the night with a full bladder. But the problem with alcohol is once the sedative wears off you are pretty much back to square one, where you will be faced with the sleeping problem all over again. Caffeine on the other hand stimulates your brain and helps you stay awake. So it is better to limit your caffeine intake in order to have a good night sleep.
- Sleep schedule: Perhaps one of the reasons why so many people suffer from sleep problems these days is because most of us suffer from a messed up sleeping schedule. If you train your body to a proper sleep schedule every single day and wake up the next morning at the same time you would not have trouble falling asleep.
- Warm bath: When you take a nice warm bath it helps you feel more relaxed before you sleep at night. Make this a night time ritual and you are guaranteed to have a good night sleep!
- Bedtime Snack: If you consume a high carbohydrate and low protein food before you go to sleep then you can have a better sleep at night. Drinking a glass of milk before you go to sleep can also help you get a good night sleep!
- Try Some Tea: Chamomile and Jasmine tea helps you calm down and feel more relaxed which induces sleep. Having a cup of chamomile or jasmine tea will help you fall asleep faster.